Tuesday, November 11, 2008

NIN_Worcester, MA show

Finally after 20 years of listening to NIN I finally popped my cherry and had a chance to go to probably one of the greatest concerts I have ever seen. There are so many reasons why I love this band and what Trent stands for as an artist and how he treats his loyal fans and this night was no exception.

The original show was supposed to take place back in August but he had to cancel due to an illness. Patiently I waited a few months until finally that day came and man it was well worth the wait. I can't remember what I paid for the tickets, it was the going rate at the time of when I bought them- probably $35 or $50 bucks. But I would have spent 5x times that in a heartbeat and especially after witnessing a killer gig like this it would have been money well spent.

Trent and Co. tore ass right out of the gate. I can't even remember which song they started with, it was all a happy blur of lights-technology-spirit and adrenaline ass kicking all rolled into one.

They played tracks from basically every album, covering about 31 or so songs in 2 hours. Trent also introduced the Godfather of Goth Peter Murphy, which was an incredible treat and who sang "Reptile" with them.

One of the other things I admire about Trent beyond his musical talent is a guy who always is revolutionizing his style and the use of technology. I have VHS tapes from 20 years ago of one of their gigs in Cleveland where there was a chain link fence, blood, fights and dreadlocks involved. Trent has come a long way as a smart business man and an incredible force that people either get or don't, but he doesn't care. I've always had the utmost respect for him going it "his own way." He is one of two artists who's work I still buy hard copies off and this show was something that was just one for the books.

BTW here is an embedded video of the show from a fellow fan.

Nine Inch Nails - Worcester, MA - 08, Nov from Sébastien B. on Vimeo.

One of the oddest things I have to admit seeing was not the two sisters next two me making out and grinding away on each other during the opening tracks. But was the sea of old school lighters flickering in the still hot air next to the eerie glows from hundreds of mobile phones during "Hurt." I'm not old fashion by any means, but this was just an oddity to me seeing the meld of two generations coming together to see a force of nature such as NIN take place. It was an experience I'll happily never forget.

"...all we ever were just zeros and ones." - Zero-Sum